Skip the drive thru and make this Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich at home!
Chicken sandwiches might be one of the greatest inventions of all time. There are many great options out there, but this Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich rates at the top of the list! Each bite has a sweet, spicy, crunchy flavor profile that will leave you craving more.
Ingredients you will need
Protein: Chicken breast
Marinade: Buttermilk, hot sauce, egg, Onion Butter seasoning
Deep Frying: Chicka Licka Bam Bam Crispy Coatings, canola oil
Hot Honey: Honey, liquid aminos, sriracha, rice wine vinegar and minced garlic
Coleslaw: tri color coleslaw, mayo, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper
Bun: Brioche bun
How to make a hot honey chicken sandwich
Start off by trimming the excess fat off of the chicken breast. In a bowl, combine and mix: buttermilk, Onion Butter seasoning, hot sauce and an egg. Add the chicken breast to the marinade and let it marinate from 2-24 hours – longer the better.
Make your coleslaw by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and mixing it thoroughly. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve your sandwich.
Put together the hot honey by combining all of the ingredients in a pan and cooking it down over low heat for 2-3 minutes until mixed.
Add 1 quart of canola oil to a dutch oven and place it over medium high heat on the oven. Check the temperature using an instant read thermometer. Once it reaches 350°F, keep the temp consistent.
Place the Chicka Licka Bam Bam Crispy Coatings in a bowl then add the chicken breast and make sure it is completely coated in the breading mixture.
Carefully put the coated chicken breast in the hot oil. Fry it for 8 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. The chicken will be done cooking once it begins to form a darker brown color. Pro tip: use an instant read thermometer to double check the internal temp of the chicken.
Once the chicken is fully cooked and done frying, remove it form the hot oil and place it on a wire rack to drain any excess oil. Brush the hot honey on all sides of the chicken making sure it is fully coated.
Assemble the sandwich on a toasted brioche bun with pickles on the the bottom bun, fried chicken breast and creamy coleslaw on top.Print
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of hot sauce
- 2 tbsp of Onion Butter seasoning
- 1 box of Chica Licka Bam Bam crispy coatings
- 1 gallon of canola oil
- 2 brioche buns
Hot Honey Ingredients
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups tri color coleslaw
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a bowl, combine and mix: buttermilk, Onion Butter seasoning, hot sauce and the egg. Place trimmed chicken breasts in the bowl and let them marinate for at least 2 hours.
- When you are ready to fry, place oil in a dutch oven and bring the oil to 350°F.
- Create hot honey by combining all of the ingredients into a pan and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Set aside for later.
- Make the coleslaw by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge for later.
- Place 1 box of Chica Licka Bam Bam in a bowl, then add each chicken breast separately ensuring that they are fully coated in the mixture.
- Carefully place the chicken breast in the oil and fry it for approximately 8 mins until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Place the chicken breast on a wire rack allowing any excess oil to drain then brush the hot honey on the sandwich.
- Assemble your sandwich on a toasted brioche bun with pickles, the fried chicken and topping it with the coleslaw.