Crispy Pork Belly Burnt Ends need to be on your to-do list of things to make!
They’re very similar to a regular pork belly burnt end, but they have the skin on so you get a delicious crispy bite on the outside.
Be sure to give this recipe a try the next time you are smoking some pork belly!
Ingredients you will need
Meat: Skin on pork belly
Seasoning: Kosher salt and a BBQ Rub
Sauce: BBQ sauce
Vinegar: Red wine vinegar
How to make Crispy Pork Belly Burnt Ends
Start off by making sure that you have pork belly the skin still on it. The skin on it is what makes this crispy. I initially had a difficult time finding pork belly with the skin still on it, but after a few calls to local butcher shops, I was able to track down a slab. Unfortunately, this one was missing a chunk of the skin, but I was still able to make this cook work,.
Take a 3 pound slab of pork belly slab with the skin on and poke a bunch of little holes into it. Cover the skin with a generous amount kosher salt. Place it in the fridge for 18-24 hrs to help the skin dry out.
Score the meat into 1.5 x 1.5 inch cubes and be careful not to cut all the way through the skin. Season all areas of the meat with your favorite BBQ rub.
Insert MEATER Plus and place it on the smoker at 250F for 2.5 hours skin side up.
Once the pork belly has reached 180°F, flip the pork belly over. Brush BBQ sauce on the meat side then let it cook for another 15 minutes. This will help the sauce thicken and tack up on the meat.
Remove the pork belly from smoker then place it on a wire rack in a baking tray to help catch any excess grease. Brush some red wine vinegar on the skin – this will help the skin get extra crispy. Place the pork belly in the oven then broil it on low for 5-10 mins until crispy.
Once the skin is crispy, remove the pork from the oven then let it cool down and rest for 10 minutes.
Cut the pork belly into bite size pieces with a sharp knife. Serve the pieces warm and enjoy every last crunchy bite!
- 3 pounds of skin on pork belly
- 2 tbsp of BBQ Rub
- 1/2 cup of Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Take a 3lb pork belly slab with skin on and poke a bunch of little holes into it
- Cover it in kosher salt for 18-24hrs to help the skin dry out
- Score the meat into 1.5×1.5 inch cubes and be careful not to cut all the way through.
- Season the meat with your favorite BBQ rub
- Insert MEATER Plus and place it on the smoker at 250F for 2.5 hours skin side up
- Brush BBQ sauce in the meat side the last 15 minutes
- Remove from smoker, then brush on red wine vinegar and place it in the oven and broil on low for 5-10 mins until crispy
- Cut into bite size pieces and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes